Friday, March 20, 2009

American Idol Top 11 Rewind

Yes, this post is a few days late. We were to a friend's house for St. Patty's Day dinner Tuesday night so we DVRed American Idol and were too tired to watch it when we came home. So we watched it on Wednesday night, but we were eating dinner while watching so I couldn't blog during the show. So like a dork, I took notes so that I could blog later and compare my assessment of the show with Matt's. I was out again Thursday night so unfortunately my assessment's a little late. Yeah, that was a long and unnecessary explanation. Anyway, here we go!
Michael Sarver: Why would he pick this song? It had so many words in it that it was virtually unintelligible! I'm a speech-language pathologist and I'm used to listening to people who are unintelligible and even I had no idea what he was singing. Additionally, it was like the same note throughout the song so it really didn't show off his talent. I really liked him in the early auditions but not so much now. No itunes purchase.
Allison Iraheta: How old is she again? She carries herself so well that I forget that she's a teenager. Crap, I really wish that I had picked her. I didn't like the song, though, so no itunes purchase.
Kris Allen: Why was his leg shaking the whole time? That's just weird. And what is up with his mouth? Well, he did do much better than last week but still, no itunes purchase.
Lil Rounds: Huh, Carrie Underwood did this song, didn't she? I hope she does better this week because I'm disappointed that she's starting to have the Fantasia tone to her voice. What's up with her look tonight? The hair/dress/jewelry combo makes her look like 40. Okay, she started out with that gross Fantasia-like quality to her voice but she got better near the end. She looked a little uncomfortable, kind of like when Jason Castro had to sing Memory last year. No itunes purhcase.
Adam Lambert: Could his pants BE any tighter? This song wasn't actually all that bad, although disturbing to say the least. It would actually be pretty good on a movie soundtrack for a weird movie like Romeo and Juliet. Good grief, there are probably tons of country singers and fans having a fit right now. No itunes purchase.
Scott Macintyre: Wow, how would you like to hear a video of Randy Travis saying that he didn't know about how well you were gonna do right before you started singing? I really liked his performance, though. Paula's an idiot. I think he's connecting with his audience just fine. What does she want him to do? On the itunes fence, but leaning towards yes.
Alexis Grace: I really liked the song, but she sounded really off in some parts. And she's another one that looks weird tonight. She looks like she belongs in a bar with a cigarette dangling from her lips. Haha, Lance thinks she looks like a Pink Lady from Grease. No itunes purchase.
Danny Gokey: Well, I wasn't thrilled that he chose this song. Everyone who's tried to sing this Carrie song has sucked. Huh, I actually thought it was pretty awesome. Oh, now what did Paula say? Gibberish as usual. itunes purchase.
Anoop Dawg: Oh yeah, Anoop can sing! This was a really smart choice for Anoop. I forgot that he really is able to sing. Hahaha, the way Paula announced that Anoop was "back" made it sound like she really thought that was physically gone. itunes purchase.
Megan Joy Corkey: Wow, her dress really accentuates her "assets", doesn't it? I actually can't stop looking at them swing to and fro. She sounds a little weird, though. Nasal and...something else but I can't put my finger on it. What's with the wiggling? How did she manage to work that in? Ohhh, she's nasal b/c she's sick! Although something else in her singing sounded weird that probably couldn't be attributed to her illness...No itunes purchase.
Matt Giraud: I really wasn't paying attention to this performance b/c I was too busy counting stitches for a hat I'm making. I'm gonna say it was boring since it couldn't capture my attention. Oh, the judges are saying it was the best of the night. Maybe I should rewind...nope, don't care enough to have Lance rewind it. Oh well. No itunes purchase.

And that's the end of my American Idol commentary for this week's show. Overall, country week wasn't as horrendous as I thought it was going to be. A few last thoughts: Paula's getting wackier and don't you think Randy Travis would make a really good action figure? Like if you stuck a cowboy hat on him then he could be like Woody from Toy Story?

1 comment:

....meow.... said...

oh, i feel bad about that...i should have been better about keeping in contact with you after high school. i have to say, though, once we reconnected again, it feels (to me, anyway) that time really hasn't passed, that our wong-to-mijares banter is as comfortable as it was back then. its hard to find friendships like that, i think. :)

as for the person i was blogging about, i don't think there will ever be a chance to revitalize that "friendship"...i don't even know if that was really what it was. i'm probably totally imagining that he ever thought of ME as his friend. as you know, i was hugely unpopular, and he wasn't necessarily "popular" but he hung out with some pretty "high profile" (class of 98 student council) people. so maybe being my friend was "uncool." who knows. all i know is that whatever we had was meaningful to ME at the time, and it makes me sad that it will never be again.