Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Obsession

Lance woke up early on the first official day of spring vacation to go to Walmart. Why? To get me this!Yup! My most awesome husband went to buy me Twilight early Saturday morning. I am a happy, happy camper. What a fabulous way to begin a much deserved (and anticipated!) break.

My obsession with Twilight first began at the beginning of February. I had been wanting to read the series for awhile but resisted until the day that I read Matt's blog. He's not a big reader but loved the book (and then went out to buy the next three books...) so when he said that he loved them, I knew I had to read them. I do not have anything resembling self-control when it comes to books so I didn't open the book (I borrowed his) until after the holidays. Well, it was all downhill after that. I flew through the book and then sent him an emergency text the night that I finished it, begging for the second book. Even though I was really sick that day, I stopped by his school to pick the book up and was thrilled that Matt, being the saint that he is, had the remaining three books with him. By the end of the night, I had read New Moon and had started reading Eclipse. I forced myself to slow down during Eclipse and Breaking Dawn and managed to drag out both books a bit.
One of the things that I noticed about myself is that I can be a wee bit obsessive when it comes to my interests. And I know this about myself and accept it but even I have to admit that I've really gone off the deep end with this Twilight thing. For awhile all I thought about was Twilight. I woke up and thought "Edward". In the video game that I was playing I named my cows "Bells" and "Alice." My co-worker was working with a kid and he said "push". And I immediately thought, "La Push?" I've read all the books, reread Twilight, reread Breaking Dawn, and reread my favorite parts in New Moon and Eclipse. I'm tempted to completely reread the other two books but I'm trying to wean myself off.
There were many reasons for my (admitted) insanity but I've narrowed it down to three:
1) The series was just awesome. Stephenie Meyer has such a strong voice and you can really tell that she really knows her characters. The fact that it's written in the first person also really puts you in her characters' shoes as well. I can't really describe how fantastic the series is but if you haven't read them, then I strongly suggest that you do.
2) Stephenie Meyer's website. I've never seen such a fantastic website for an author. In addition to FAQs, she's also posted stuff that was left out during editing as well as extra stuff that she's written in addition to the books. She's even posted pictures of the cars that were in the books.
3) I entered the Twilight world when Popo was in the hospital. It was a lot easier (although perhaps a little unhealthier) to immerse myself in the world of Bella and Edward. I thought I would pass the time in the ICU waiting room knitting but I discovered that knitting left too much time for thinking. Playing video games while waiting was also a good distraction, which was a strategy that many of my family members employed (the first night that Popo was in ICU, my cousins, aunties and uncles, and I all played Mario Kart on our DSes).
Now if you excuse me, it's almost 12:30 and time for bed...or some special features on the DVD...or another reading of New Moon...

5 comments:

....meow.... said...

admit it! yes, stephenie meyer is an awesome writer, but the REAL reason you're obsessed is because you're in love with edward.

ok...maybe that's not really the case for you. but i certainly fell madly, head-over-heels in love with him. it was practically like having an affair. with a fictional character. it was crazy. i imagine that boyfriends/husbands all over the world have developed complexes ever since edward graced the presence of females' lives. he is PERFECT.

....meow.... said...

i haven't figured out when i'm coming back to hawaii this year, i'm trying to wait and see if i can get a really good ticket price for later this year, around fall or winter. i will certainly let you know when i finalize something.

i'll email you on facebook about b.a.

nure nezumi said...

yes yes, i know about your obsessive-ness, i call it "being a big dork" and then i sigh and roll my eyes and say "you make me sad" a lot.

but i do agree that the website is pretty awesome, with all the deleted passages and that preview of midnight sun it made reading the book a holistic experience. however... after reading the last three books in the series (really, it was the last book that pushed it over the edge) the series is ruined for me. if i think about the first book as a separate entity then i can enjoy it as a stand-alone story, but after knowing what happens at the end of it all (even though it was somewhat of a satisfying conclusion), even the beginning is all tainted for me.

still, i like the first book at least. also... can i borrow that dvd, y'know, after you've watched it at least like 20 times? haha.

Kat said...

Haha, you're right! I am in love with Edward! Shh...don't tell. I'm feeling a little guilty. :)

Kat said...

Well, Matt, seeing as how I still have your last three books, yes, you can most definitely borrow the DVD. My dad has it right now, though, but I'll let you know when I get it back.