Sunday, August 19, 2007

I like knitting

I like knitting, I really do. But this bloody sock has been kicking my arse. I started it a year ago and have had to frog it twice. The first time I got confused and didn't decrease enough at the gusset. I had a feeling it was way too big for Lance's feet, but I was scared to find out so I put it aside for several months. I finally got the nerve to make him put it on and it was way too wide. The only way it would have fit was if he was a clown. Dismayed, I frogged it and put the yarn aside for awhile. The second time I started it I had gauge problems and had to frog it again. I just cast it on for a third time a few weeks ago because my other projects are huge blankets and I desperately needed some immediate reinforcement and socks are relatively quick projects. Plus I needed a travel project because the blankets were just too huge to be lugging around. Anyway, so I cast on this cursed sock for a third time, but this time I changed to smaller needles because I hoped the new needles would break the curse. So far I've had to rip out parts of it but at least I haven't had to resort to ripping the whole thing out. I don't know what's with this sock. It's not the first sock that I've knitted and it's not a fancy sock. In the year that I initially cast on these socks, I've knitted a bunch of other projects, including another pair of socks.

Anyhow, I found out that knitting actually helps me pay attention during long presentations. At big conferences, I can sit in the back and knit under the table. I always choose a project that's fairly mindless so I can listen to the speaker and having my hands move constantly really helps me stay alert and awake. Anyway, while I was working on this sock the other night, I came to a horrible realization. I've been hoping that my realization was wrong so I've been asking other people. Sadly, they all agree with me. Is it bad form to knit at a conference that you're in charge of?

1 comment:

nure nezumi said...

#1 - to answer your question: of course not, if you're in charge of it then you can do whatever the crap you want! including knitting.

#2 - some words/phrases you used that are weird:
a. "arse"
b. "frog"
c. "frogged it"
d. "cast it on"
e. "cursed sock"

#3 - to help you out, i do have something constructive to say in this comment... my friend shannon told me that the new "fad" in knitting (can't believe i used those two words in the same sentence, except for "kathleen, knitting is not the new fad") is called "felting" when you knit something oversize and then shrink it in the dryer... weird these knitting people.