Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pau

I'm exhausted. We finally had our convention on Thursday and Friday. It went fairly well and ran fairly smoothly. We had a few minor snags, but it all worked out in the end. And it's the snags that help you learn and we've already started jotting down notes for next year. We had a lot of good feedback from our members, which is rare. We had big plans for this year's convention, but we didn't want to make too many changes too fast. As new chairs and as young chairs, we knew had something to prove to the board and to our members before we started implementing some of the bigger changes. So we made small changes that we think made a big difference. Hopefully now that we have one successful convention under our belt, we won't run into too much resistance from the board next year. Planning the convention wasn't as stressful as I thought it'd be. I had an awesome co-chair who moves a mile a minute, a fantastic committee (who were some my wonderful friends from grad school), and a whole bunch of other people who were just so willing to help. The one damper to the convention was that the person who convinced me and my friend to be the convention chairs was not very, um, pleasant during the convention. She's generally not a pleasant person to begin with and I understand that she may be upset we did so much better than the last two conventions, but it would've been nice to have her support. I understand that I cannot change the person that she is, but I can't help but be a little disappointed. I don't understand why she doesn't get that it reflects well upon her if we do well.

Anyway, my co-chair and I have a few more things to take care to finish up this year's convention. Once we get that stuff done, we're taking a break until the end of April. We'll start working again in May but first we'll have a much deserved break. Now that it's almost done, I don't quite know what to do with myself. The convention has taken so much of my time and energy and now it's over. What to do, what to do. I'm kinda excited. I wish that spring break didn't already happen so that I could really have a break. I ended up working a lot on the convention and on the house and on the wedding, so I didn't have too much of a spring break. That's okay because the break from work was still nice and I did manage to get some breaks in during spring break:
Lance was invited to participate in a boat tour of Pearl Harbor because he school works with a lot of military families. It was cool to see everything from the harbor and I enjoyed going to the Arizona Memorial again. I haven't been there in years. During the break I also:

Went with Lance to our annual trip to the zoo. We went to the Honolulu Zoo on our first date and we return there every year for our anniversary. We also:Went to the Polynesian Cultural Center to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I mentioned last year that I wanted to go to PCC because I only went once when I was young and trust him to remember.

So I didn't just work during my spring break, but there was some other stuff that I wanted to do but didn't get get to. Now that this year's convention's more or less done, here's the list of stuff I have planned to fill up my now free time:
1) Knit (big surprise here).
2) Clean my house. With the renovations and my recent busy-ness, my house is a mess and it's driving me crazy. Must. Clean.
3) Party. We've lived here for a year now and haven't had a house warming party yet because we immediately started working on renovations. I really want to have a house warming party though I don't know when it's gonna be. Maybe I'll have a small barbeque as a test run. Heh, I guess Matt's on the guest list regardless of what kind of party I have. He's a wee bit bitter that he hasn't seen my house yet.

Regardless of what I end up doing, I'm gonna enjoy myself while doing it. I've always been a bit of a work horse but as I stated earlier, I'm trying to live a more stress reduced life. I'm so not good at relaxing, but darnit, I'm gonna try.

2 comments:

nure nezumi said...

yes, party GO!

haha, really though, good job on convention, i'm actually getting kind of excited about next year because of your changes...keep the cookies though, they were great.

brandizzle said...

PCC is one of my favorite places in Hawaii (maybe also the world). really, i LOVE going there! i love all the people doing crafts and singing and dancing and being whoever they're supposed to be. my favorite is aotearoa and it makes me really want to go there. i'm glad you went, everyone should.