Monday, July 07, 2008

San Francisco Series: Episode 1

Before our trip, I was all stressed because we had so many things to do before we could even think about packing. As a result, no packing actually occurred until the day before our departure and we were up till the wee hours of the morning the morning of. Our trip began when my dad picked up me, Lance, and M*Bark and took us to his house. We dropped M*Bark and all of her stuff off at my parents house. It was the first time that we've been away since we got her and the house so our anxiety level was a little higher than it usually is before a trip. We then picked up the MIL and went to the airport. Right before we checked our luggage in, I noticed that the MIL had a bottle of water sticking out of her carry on. I told her that she to either throw it away or pack it in her luggage and then we checked the rest of her bag to make sure she didn't have any more forbidden items. Feeling proud of myself for catching the liquid in her bag, we moved quickly through the check in and then went to the security line. We moved through in the security line but were told to wait for someone to come and checkmy backpack. No biggie, my carry on frequently gets checked because of my knitting needles. And so we waited. And waited. And waited. I started to get grouchy. I mean, geez, they were just knitting needles. Finally someone came by to check my bag and as he unzipped my backpack he asked if I had any liquid in it. I answered no because I had been careful when I had packed and I managed to catch the MIL's mistake so obviously I didn't have any liquid myself. Yeah, he found liquid in my bag. I had mistakenly packed my facial cleanser in my carry on. Luckily there was an area next to the security line to mail packages so I was able to mail my cleanser home since it was a brand new bottle of Arbonne. The plane ride was uneventful and it was almost enjoyable. Lance and I watched Juno on my ipod, played 2-player Meteos on our DSes, and I read a bit. I wanted to knit the sock I was working on, but I had dropped a needle early in the flight. The man behind me was nice about picking it up but I didn't want to risk dropping it again. We arrived around 9 pm San Francisco time, used the really cool airport Air Tram to the car rental place, and picked up our car.Lance and I have had really good experiences staying at small motels. The motels generally aren't spectacular and you definitely wouldn't stay at them for the ambiance but we always get really good service and plus they have the added advantage of being relatively inexpensive. So we picked another small motel and we weren't disappointed. The MIL forgot her toothbrush (though she actually did find it later) and the front desk actually provided one for her free of charge. The front desk guy also took the time to provide us with possible food options and recommended us with one that had free delivery and amazing food. Since it was kinda late, we decided to just order food in and settled in. We needed our rest for the rest of our trip. But first, Lance decided to entertain himself a bit:

No comments: