Saturday, July 12, 2008

San Francisco Series: Episode 2

On the second day (and first day that we could really do anything), we woke up bright and early, ate breakfast (our motel provided a complimentary continental breakfast), and headed down to Pier 39 of Fisherman's Wharf. The parking rates here were pretty steep, but we discovered that most parking rates in San Francisco were pretty steep and a lot of the stores didn't have a free parking lot. Anyway, Pier 39 had some pretty cool touristy stores, including The Candy Baron, which was a fantastic candy store that had tons of taffy and some cool old fashioned candy.Pier 39 also some pretty good food (I loved all the fantastic seafood available in San Francisco) and some good views. There was also an area were a bunch of sea lions were just hanging out and that was really cool to see.After a few hours there, we left Pier 39 and went to Japantown. Japantown was one of the places that I was super excited to visit because 1) I like Japanese stuff, and 2) I wanted to buy lots of bento stuff and I had read that Ichiban Kan had a lot of cool, inexpensive stuff. Japantown did not disappoint. There were cool Japanese sculptures, cute signs, and a pagoda:
I ended up purchasing a set of three flower vegetable cutters, which is good because I wanted a smaller set than the one I currently have. I also bought a lot of bento gear from Ichiban Kan, which was as fantastic as I had envisioned. I purchased a couple of bento boxes, some cute chopsticks, chopstick holders, bento straps, food picks, food dividers, sauce bottles, and a tamagoyaki pan. Oh, and facial cleanser to replace the one that I had to mail home. After Japantown, we drove to Daly City to look for a Target because the MIL really wanted to find The Spiderwick Chronicles and it was being released on DVD this day. She decided that it was too expensive and that it would be cheaper to have someone purchase it at home, but I didn't mind the extra drive because Target was right next to Daiso, a Japanese dollar store (well, more like $1.50 store. We went to one when we were in Vancouver and it was humangous and amazing but it was closing right when we got there. I was disappointed then so I was thrilled to discover that there was a Daiso nearby. The Daly City Daiso was no where near as thrilling as the Vancouver one and I was disappointed with the craft selection but I bought more bento stuff here. All in all it was a good day and I was happy because getting some cool bento gear was on my list of things that I really wanted to do while on my trip. And good grief, did I get bento gear:

2 comments:

nure nezumi said...

were there japanesie people all walking around japantown or was it haoleville? for some reason i imagine weird haired, sunburnt, plucked eyelash japanese people walking around everywhere but why would actual japanese people go to japantown?

i bet those sea lions were stinky.

Kat said...

Actually there was a mixture of both. It was kind of like Chinatown but for Japanese stuff. It was actually pretty cool and I'd probably visit often if I lived there.