Monday, July 14, 2008

San Francisco Series: Episode 3b

So on the last episode, we ended with our travelers departing Sacramento and heading back to San Francisco. Two hours, one toll booth, and one bridge later, we returned to the hotel, dropped the MIL off, and changed into warmer clothes. Lance and I headed to Oakland to catch the Oakland A's play the Philadelphia Phillies. We were concerned about the traffic and it looked like we were gonna make it just in the nick of time but suddenly the traffic cleared and we were there! Lance actually clapped his hands, he was so excited. We had more than enough time to buy food, souvenirs, look around, and find our seats.We had pretty good seats for the game. We were behind home plate and were pretty close to the action. We were so close that we had that net/screen thing that stops foul balls from smacking you hard and so close that Lance felt it was necessary to tell me to duck if I saw people around me ducking.









It was a good game for us to go to since Hawaii boys (I almost said "local boys" and then realized that I wasn't cool enough to say "local boys") Kurt Suzuki and Shane Victorino were both playing. I always try to pay attention to Lance's interests and I can watch a lot of his sports now and I enjoy them. I admit, though, paying attention to baseball takes more effort though I admit that going to a major league game is way more interesting and fun than watching it at home. In any case, I was amused by many things during this game, none of which actually had to do with the game (though I was also pleased because this game moved along at a nice pace). Perhaps the most amusing was:
The mess of vendors moving up and down the aisles! They were selling peanuts, churros, pizza, ice cream, soda, candy, and souvenirs. They even had vendors walking around with huge hot chocolate and Starbucks coffee canisters on their back that had a hose connected to it. It was super freezing so I ended up buying a Starbucks coffee from one of them near the end of the game. He got his little hose, pumped the coffee into a cup, gave me cream and sugar, and continued on his merry way. There were a lot of vendors where we were sitting and they all moved super fast. I had a lot of fun watching these vendors but I really was paying attention to the game though my view was blocked a bit at times:
I was also amused but also irritated at times by these obnoxious girls sitting next to me. They drank a lot during the game and got louder and louder as the game progressed. I think one of them may have come in drunk already, though, because she was obnoxious from the beginning and her friends were laughing that she was an alcoholic. They were alternating between cheering on the A's, dissing our section for not being spirited enough, and screaming crap at the Phillies and anyone who might be fans of them. Their highest point was either when they repeatedly screamed "douche bag" at the opposing team or when they yelled at a little eight year old boy who was cheering for the Phillies.The funny thing about this picture was not that a picture of a group of strangers who were obviously sitting right next to me was taken. The funny thing is that Lance was the one who took the picture. After one of the girls' more obnoxious comments, I asked Lance to hand me the camera so that I could take a picture of them. Instead, he told me to wait, scrolled through the pictures already taken, said "Is this what you want?", and handed me the camera with the already taken picture. Ha, ha, I couldn't stop laughing. He knows me so well. All in all, it was a fun evening at the ballpark.

No comments: