Sunday, July 13, 2008

San Francisco Series: Episode 3a

[Note: We did so much on Day 3 that I've broken it up into two parts. The night of our third day will be Episode 3b.]
On day 3 of our San Francisco adventure, we started out our day with a drive out to Fairfield. We were led by Mandy, who assisted me with my navigational responsibilities for the entire trip. She's also helped me out quite a bit here at home, but she's a lot easier to use when someone else is helping her navigate.
To get to Fairfield, we had to cross the Oakland Bay Bridge, which I thought was pretty cool. There's two levels to the bridge and you exit San Francisco on the bottom level and return from the top. We also passed our first toll booth, which amused me to no end. Granted I wasn't as amused by the toll booths as our trip wore on as they can become costly.








After about an hour, we arrived at Fairfield and at one of the most exciting places of the trip for me. Yup, we went to the Jelly Belly factory! Jelly Bellies are my most favorite candy and going to the factory was on my "San Francisco Must Do" list. The tour was really cool but we weren't allowed to take pictures during the tour. They were doing maintenance this day so we didn't get to see them make candy, but we were able to see them build the layers of the bean and see them package them. At the end of the tour, we also got a fairly decent size bag of Jelly Belly beans. The factory also had a store with lots of merchandise and of course their entire line of candy. They even had a sampling bar where you could taste individual flavors. We purchased a lot here for omiyage and bought four pounds of Belly Flops, which were the reject beans that didn't meet the high quality standards of Jelly Belly. They taste the same, but they are either misshapen, too small, too large, or stuck together. Oh, and they also had these really neat Jelly Belly art all over the place that were actually made out of Jelly Bellies. There were a lot of Ronald Reagan pieces, since his love of the Jelly Belly bean helped with their success. His favorite flavor was licorice.After Jelly Belly, we did a geocache (which I found, yea me) and then drove another hour out to Citrus Heights (outside of Sacramento) to visit one of Lance's former colleagues that moved to California after he retired. We got to see their house, which I enjoyed a lot because I like seeing the non-touristy areas of the places we visit. The best part of their house that I was super jealous of was their apple tree. The tree fruits in the fall so there weren't any apples on it, but they said they get a lot of apples when it does fruit. Having an apple tree would definitely be a reason why I'd want to move to the mainland. How cool would it be to be able to pick your own apples and make all the goodness that comes from the apple? Applesauce, apple pie, jam and jellies? Fantastic. They took us to eat lunch at this really fantastic but casual restaurant, Booyah. I had a fabulous portobello mushroom sandwich which I'm going to try and make before I have to return to school. We had to leave to return to the hotel relatively early in the afternoon so that we could make the two hour drive back to drop off the MIL before Lance and I headed out again to the Oakland-Phillies game. We didn't have time to visit a yarn store in Sacramento but that was okay as I was still on a high from the bento excursion the day before.

2 comments:

nure nezumi said...

ha, belly flops. that's funny.

sounds really cool, i'm getting inspired for travel again (now that i can finally replenishing the bank account). well, actually, up next is chicago for asha, you wanna go? shannon's gonna come down from new york and adriana's coming from charleston so i'm definately gonna try and make plans to go this year...

Kat said...

I want to go to ASHA because Cheree guys are thinking about going but my bank account won't let me. But I do want to go to another ASHA because San Diego was really cool.