Monday, February 11, 2008

Time flies

This weekend Matt and I participated in a friend's career day. We've all been friends since intermediate school, but this was the first time that I'd seen her at work. Before it was our turn to speak, I watched her address her students and give them instructions. She was dressed all professional-like, with her glasses and her hair pulled back and everything. As I watched her tell her students to be respectful and not to embarrass her, it suddenly dawned on me how old she looked. She looked and acted like an adult.

I don't know why this was so mind-boggling to me. We've all been adults for quite awhile now. It's funny how adulthood just kinda sneaks up on you. Sometimes I'll be doing something small like cooking dinner and it just amazes me that I'm old enough to be responsible for my own dinner. Once in awhile it hits me at work too. I'll be writing an evaluation report and it'll suddenly amaze me that writing reports is no longer just an exercise. It's my job, I get paid to do it, and people actually trust me with their child's communication. And I admit, sometimes I think, "For real? I'm not old enough to do this." And then I remember that I am.

After Matt and I spoke, our friend showed us around her office. I couldn't believe that she actually had an office. When did we all get to be adults? Why did no one warn us? It feels like it was only yesterday that we were signing yearbooks and chuckling over how many guys she flirted with and now she has an office? I know it's a cliche, but it's true - it's funny how time flies.

2 comments:

brandizzle said...

you're just old. haha and soon you'll be even OLDER! ya old fart. let me be the first to wish you an early happy b-day.
i think i've been feeling adult-ish for awhile now. but i certainly don't act that way.

nure nezumi said...

i believe it's because you work in a school... and elementary school. and the people you associate closest with are teachers... elementary school teachers. they are a different breed entirely, you should know, your parents, my parents, mostly all of our parents were school teachers. a very different world to be living and working in...

get out. get out now.

although the same can probably be said about living in mililani, except we're both stuck in it now aren't we? haha.